Hannah Meijer (1994) is a Dutch artist currently living and working in Utrecht.
- 26th of February - 19th of June, Mondriaanhuis, Amersfoort
- 10th of June - 10th of July, De Belofte, Utrecht
- 24th of June -16th of July, LIFT-OFF, Impakt, Utrecht
- 30th of June - 23th of July, Kunstpodium T, Pennings Foundation, Eindhoven
- 2nd of July - 31st of July, Janskerk, Utrecht
- 7th of July - 10th of July, This Art Fair, Amsterdam
2017-2021 Bachelor of Fine Art, HKU, Utrecht
2016-2017 Pre Education, HKU, Utrecht
2021 -WOMAN, EXbunker, Utrecht,
- MAIDENTRIP, DE.GROEN Fine Art Collection, Arnhem, Solo show
- Exposure 2021 OFFLINE, HKU Pastoe Fabriek, Utrecht, Group show
2020 -It’s my turn!, Kunstuitleen, Utrecht, Group show
Nominated for the HKU-AWARD
Collectie DE.GROEN, NL
The sculptural works of Hannah Meijer reveal a world full of contrast. Fascinated by working with textile, Meijer subverts its traditional character and gives it strength by positioning it alongside something else entirely. By using the soft qualities of her materials, such as wools, cotton, and other fabrics, next to hard materials such as plastics, tiles, and glassware, Meijer draws out their sensible and symbolic meanings: intuitive and analytic, feminine and masculine, free and repressed, artistic and scientific, mind and matter.
By turning her works into spatial installations that mimic a non-functional laboratory, her materials start doing the work. Consciously encapsulating textile with scientific materials evokes a sense of repression that reveals more about the qualities of the materials present, while she enables the spectator to engage with them in a sensory way. As such, Meijer’s works challenge us to ponder on the relationships between the instinctive and the straightforward, craft and industry, art and science, and ultimately also nature and culture.
- Menno Vuister